Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Opening a Webshop

A few years ago I started quilting. After a few quilts, I really loved the creative outlet it gave me. It seemed that I only quilted as the weather changed in September and I needed a hobbie since the snow kept any outdoor activity very limited. The best thing about quilting in September is all the holiday fabrics that are available with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner. I had never done wall hangings, applique, or paper piecing until I met Holly. Thanks to those late poker nights at the Dicks and Holly's crafty talent, huge amount of patience and great teaching abilities (I am a huge fan, can you tell??), I started making Holiday wall-hangings and Christmas gifts. I mean what else were we supposed to do as the boys were out in the playhouse playing poker till 2, 3, sometimes even 4am. This soon developed into, "oh, what to make so-in-so for Christmas this year." I got tired of our stockings every year being a total free for all, no one knowing whos was whos, all miss-matched, and there never being enough stockings to go around. So that is were the idea originated from...and you wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find a good stocking pattern, I had no idea how a stocking was made and put together. After many attempts at different patterns non of which I liked, I designed my own. Many people have commented on them so I decided to start a website for them. http://www.hollyjollystockings.etsy.com/ It is still under construction, and I am still trying to figure out how to mange my time so I can make them on demand, but I am super excited! Here are some pics of some of the stockings I have made for the family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Extremely cute! Good luck!

Jessie said...

How fun! Between managing housing, your boys, and all the fun you've been having, I am awed that you have time for a business on the side! You're my hero. PS - I see that you went with the pink helmet. Against my suggestion. If you don't want my opinion, don't ask for it, okay? ;-) PSS - the word verification I just had to type in was the longest in history.

The Thornburgs said...

Sorry Jessie...I seriously value your opinion! I went with the sky blue jersey and pants...that is where your opinion mattered the most! I didn't want to match too much, had to go with the pink somewhere.

Call me Hehaw said...

I dig the pink helmet....Besides when you are passing all of the boys on the hill... they will look over and see that a girlin a pink helmet just passed them! Congrats on the bussiness endevor! Good luck!!!! I am sure you will do great!