Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Well in case you were wondering where I have been...

Well I haven't blogged much, not that nothing is going on...because that is definitely not the case. We have been so busy outside that I haven't had time to blog. Between my stockings, furniture refinishing, blanket carriers, pacifier clips, and then the garden I have been exhausted!
We had a great garden last year, even though I was pregnant I worked in the garden with the boys and my dad and loved every minute of it. Well this year we really planned out the garden. Here is what we have achieved...my dad has done an amazing job and has put in many many hours of hard work!
These are the 16 rows of berries, raspberries and marionberries. You can't really see the berry starts but there are 3 per row. The greenhouse sits just above the garden area.
The greenhouse has been awesome! It stays so HOT! My dad has it wired for electricity, there is a sink and he even plumbed a misting system inside, it has vents and fans...love it!
We planted 4 apple trees, 2 plum trees, and 3 pear trees along side the driveway. We also layeded sod around the whole perimeter of the garden...no more mud!Dad loves strawberries and went crazy planting them! There are 200 strawberry plants and 20 blueberries bushes. We have planted bush beans, peas, spinach, lettuce, peppers all colors and varieties, cabbage, califlower, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, zuccini, squash, beets, brussel sprouts, yukon gold potatoes, russets, pumpkin, watermelon, canteloupe, and corn and 40 yes 40 tomato plants of all varieties! Anyone want some tomatoes?! We even have a Herb garden for my ma!
We were working on weeding the strawberries today...ah weeding the garden an on going process! Whenever the boys are just so full of energy that I just need to get outta here I head to the garden! They love it- they can weed, dig, plant, ride the tractor, they find bugs and worms. I have noticed they really use their imaginations and play so well. They never want to leave and often beg to stay.

We had problems with the deer coming in and eating the leaves off the fruit trees and pulling out the strawberries so dad is installing a fence to keep the deer out. We also replaced the arborvitae hedge.

The boys helping dad replant the corn. The greenhouse is nice and warm for Brody-it can be nasty outside with hail, rain, wind, even snow and it is nice and warm for the boys!



I love what the boys are learning, it is a wonderful opportunity for them to grow, learn, and explore and nothing can replace the memories they will have of working in the garden! Some of my best memories growing up are of working and playing in the garden...I hope they are some of my boys' best too.

No comments: