Thursday, April 17, 2008

I LOVE Historic homes!

So here is one of my confessions....
It is true, I have a total obsession with real estate! Especially homes from 1880's-1930's. Growing up with my dad as a contractor, not only did he teach me everything from skip sheeting to framing, but also a great love for good craftsmanship. In my spare time I drive around looking at homes. It is really a problem. I love older homes, completely love them, nothing is more inspiring than a home that has all the original woodwork, hardware, built-ins, pocket doors, dual staircases, and stained glass. My favorites are the craftsman bungalows, and eastlake Victorians. I can look at them all day...they are awesome! I would love to own one and restore it, I get so excited going into a home that is 100+ years old to find it has all the original guts. Wainscoting 3/4 of the way up the walls in the dining room...built-in buffet...solid hardwood pocket doors... bookcases built-in around the living room fireplace...stained glass windows on either side of the fireplace...9 ft ceilings throughout...brass hardware...ornate brass radiators...so awesome!

1913 Prairie Style

9 ft ceilings, stained glass windows, hardwood floors, beautiful built-in bookcases, fireplace, and trim.
Love the built-in, now days you see all the original hardwood painted white, it is really unique to see it not painted. I love the wainscoting 3/4 of the way up the walls in the dining. I love the coffered ceilings and the dark woodwork.

No comments: